On April 12, Yuri Gagarin became the first human to orbit Earth. Since then more than 400 human beings have been into space, 12 humans have walked on the moon, space probes have landed on Venus and Mars, and Voyager 1 – launched on September 5 – will be more than 13,500,000,000 km from the Earth – the furthest man-made object.
Have you ever wondered how many different types of space mission there have been?
You might like to …
• design a Timeline, illustrating the major dates in space exploration
• design a map of the Moon, showing the landing sites
• design a PowerPoint presentation that gives information about the space probes that have visited each planet; you could also look at present and future missions (especially ones the UK are involved with) – have a look at
• find out how astronauts overcome weightlessness; design some objects that would help in a weightless situation, for example a way of drinking water, or a space toilet (how do they stop the waste from floating around? And where does it go?)
• design a diet and exercise regime for astronauts to stop their muscles from wasting.